Sealy in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Trinity Lutheran Church
After preaching his first sermon in Sealy on February 11, 1883, Lutheran Missionary Reverend John Trinklein organized the Trinity Lutheran Church Congregation on October 31 of that same year. In the beginning, most of the congregation was of German Heritage and many early church records were written in German. The congregation dedicated its first church structure, a 24 by 34-foot frame building, on July 25, 1886. In March 1891, the congregation bought the church site from the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railway Company. Repaired after sustaining serious damage in the Great Storm of 1900, the original church building remained in use until it was replaced in 1940 by a larger 60 by 30-foot building. The current brick-clad sanctuary dates from 1963, when it and five new Sunday school rooms were dedicated.
From 1883 to 2012, twenty-five pastors, including Rev. Trinklein, served the congregation. During its first dozen years, the church shared Pastors Paul G. Heckel (1890-93) and P.A. Wenzel (1893-1895) with the Lutheran congregations in Cat Spring and Pattison. In 1895, Pastor A.R. Roglitz became the church’s first pastor to live in
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17605.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Disasters.
Location. 29° 46.766′ N, 96° 9.493′ W. Marker is in Sealy, Texas, in Austin County. Marker is at the intersection of Atchison Street and 4th Street, on the right when traveling north on Atchison Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 402 Atchison Street, Sealy TX 77474, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Citizens State Bank (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Haynes-Felcman House (about 600 feet away); Sealy (about 600 feet away); Paul and Mahala Hackbarth House (about 600 feet away); Saint John's Episcopal Church Preibisch Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hackbarth Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Haynes Mattress Factory (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sealy.
Also see . . . Galveston Hurricane of 1900. The storm lifted debris from one row of buildings and hurled it against the next row until eventually two-thirds of the city, then the fourth largest in Texas, had been destroyed. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on December 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 24 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.