Lancaster in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Kentucky native William Johnson Winniford (1827 - 1915) came to Texas as a Peters Colonist in 1845. A participant in California's Gold Rush, he returned and homesteaded 320 acres here in 1853. He married Sarah Allen Lewis in 1865. Their son, John L. (1870 - 1946) and his wife Emma L. Batchler (1875 - 1973), built this house in 1913, reared 4 children and raised corn, cattle, and cotton. Designed by John's brother, Andrew, the prairie school style house features a foursquare plan with large hipped roof, dormers, and distinctive multi-light windows. The house and farm complex remain in the Winniford family.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1994
Restored by Winniford Morton and Harry Lewis in 1978
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6925.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Architecture • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 33.758′ N, 96° 44.232′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Texas, in Dallas CountyTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1921 Nokomis Road, Lancaster TX 75146, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Edgewood Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Marshal Peter Monroe Solomon (approx. 1.6 miles away); W. A. Strain Home (approx. 1.9 miles away); Lancaster Education (approx. 2.1 miles away); Rocky Crest School (approx. 2.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Lancaster (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Town of Lancaster (approx. 2.3 miles away); St. Paul Freewill Baptist Church (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 14, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 14, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.