Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Sealy in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hackbarth Building

 
 
Hackbarth Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 10, 2020
1. Hackbarth Building Marker
Inscription.  

German natives F.W. (Fritz) and Carolyn (Krampitz) Hackbarth arrived in Galveston in 1846 with their two sons. They settled in Austin County, where Fritz farmed and ranched, and the couple had four more children, including F.W. Hackbarth, Jr. (born 1849). He was a carpenter, who in 1885 opened the Hackbarth Lumber Company, one of Sealy’s earliest enterprises. He was joined in the business by his sons Paul, Robert and John. The lumberyard supplied materials for the early growth and development of Sealy, expanding to include a brick plant and then concrete masonry production. This material was used in commercial buildings completed for F.W. Hackbarth and John Hackbarth in 1907, other businesses including an ice house, and the Paul and Mahala Hackbarth house in 1911.

F.W. Hackbarth, Jr. owned a block of frame buildings on Main Street, which he razed in 1907 to erect a new concrete block structure. The building features load-bearing masonry blocks produced at their factory, a canopy with iron column supports, an angled corner, and a cast iron façade storefront ordered from George L. Mesker and Company of Evansville, Indiana. Citizens
Hackbarth Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 10, 2020
2. Hackbarth Building and Marker
State Bank formed in 1907 and occupied part of Hackbarth’s new building, with capital of $25,000, assets of $46,000, R.A. Engelking as president, and John Hackbarth on the Board of Directors. The bank outgrew its location by 1917. The building had many commercial uses, notably Fred Frimel’s Jewelry and Hackbarth General Store and Grocery. During World War II, this was the site of a Red Cross Office and War Bond Sales. The Sealy News was printed here from 1942 until the late 1990s. The building exhibits significant craftsmanship and recounts noteworthy history and commerce of the community.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2013
Marker is property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17788.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce.
 
Location. 29° 46.886′ N, 96° 9.334′ W. Marker is in Sealy, Texas, in Austin County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and West Front Street, on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 109 Main Street, Sealy TX 77474, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Preibisch Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Citizens State Bank (about 600 feet
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
away); Trinity Lutheran Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sealy (approx. ¼ mile away); Saint John's Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Haynes-Felcman House (approx. ¼ mile away); Paul and Mahala Hackbarth House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Haynes Mattress Factory (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sealy.
 
Also see . . .  Sealy, Texas. Sealy is a market and manufacturing center at the junction of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroads, on State Highway 36 and Interstate 10 four miles southwest of San Felipe in southeastern Austin County. The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on December 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 30 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 15, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 6, 2021