Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Sealy in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Preibisch Building

 
 
Preibisch Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 10, 2020
1. Preibisch Building Marker
Inscription.  

German immigrant Adolph H. Preibisch and his wife, Emilie, came to Austin County in 1860. After the town of Sealy developed along the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad, the Preibisches bought property in the new railroad town.

In 1885, Adolph and Emilie Preibisch purchased these lots and hired brick mason John Colleton to construct this commercial building for them in 1886-1887. Colleton's brickyard in nearby Bellville, where he fired bricks from Brazos River clay, was the source of material for many of Sealy's buildings.

Sited on a prominent corner lot, the Preibisch building first housed Preibisch's own store, in which he sold household and kitchen furniture, window shades, rugs, carpets and other manner of household goods. As was the practice with many early furniture dealers, Preibisch also made and sold funeral caskets from his store. The family continued to run the store after Adolph died in 1899. After Emilie's death in 1905, their son W.W. Preibisch took over the business. Later tenants of the Preibisch building included a general merchandise store, grocery store, jewelry and gift shop, and a saloon/pool hall
The Preibisch Building is now the Saddleback Saloon. image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 10, 2020
2. The Preibisch Building is now the Saddleback Saloon.
The marker is located next to the front door.
known as "My Place", which served as a setting for several advertisements and motion picture films. The building remained in the Preibisch family until 1946.

The one-part brick commercial structure, which features arched window and door openings and corbelled brickwork, is significant for its association with the early commercial development of Sealy and remains an important part of Sealy's architectural heritage.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001
 
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12526.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars.
 
Location. 29° 46.875′ N, 96° 9.394′ W. Marker is in Sealy, Texas, in Austin County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Fowlkes Street, on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 207 Main Street, Sealy TX 77474, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Citizens State Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hackbarth Building (about 300 feet away); Trinity Lutheran Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sealy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Haynes-Felcman House
Preibisch Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 10, 2020
3. Preibisch Building and Marker
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint John's Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Paul and Mahala Hackbarth House (approx. ¼ mile away); Haynes Mattress Factory (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sealy.
 
Also see . . .  Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway. The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on December 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 29 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 15, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021