Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Devils Lake in Ramsey County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Keating's Furniture Annex

 
 
Keating's Furniture Annex Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 15, 2012
1. Keating's Furniture Annex Marker
Inscription.  On the site of the parking lot to the west, stood one of the city's landmark buildings. Last known as Keating's Furniture Annex, the building housed several businesses through the years and was razed in 1994 as part of the Ramsey National Bank and Trust Company Expansion.

The building was constructed in 1909-1910 and was originally the home of the Horton Motor Company, a pioneer automobile dealership. Later it became the Devils Lake Auto Shop and continued to house car dealers and auto repair shops including the Moffet Garage and Schommer Nash. Keating's was the final occupant of the building.

The building stood on a historical commercial street in the Central Business District. Its architectural detailing and horizontal expression may have reflected the owner's willingness to invest extra money on embellishments and to opt for length rather than height, perhaps to symbolize his confidence in the future of the city and his business. The storefront facade consisted of a brick masonry bearing wall with street level entrances. Special decorative features included a Corbeled brick cornice and Corbeled brick window hoods at the 1st
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and 2nd floor windows. Decorative expression was further enhanced by joining the window hoods to form a simplified "fret" pattern across the front facade. Upper floor windows were narrow and regularly spaced while the main floor windows were larger and spaced to allow entrance doors.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1909.
 
Location. 48° 6.695′ N, 98° 51.734′ W. Marker is in Devils Lake, North Dakota, in Ramsey County. Marker is on 4th Street Northeast east of 2nd Avenue Northeast (Railroad Avenue), on the right when traveling east. Marker is located near the sidewalk at the northwest corner of the Ramsey National Bank building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 4th Street Northeast, Devils Lake ND 58301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nash-Finch Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Woolworth's (within shouting distance of this marker); Jamieson Block (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Vangs Jewelry Building (about 300 feet away); Mac's Lounge (about 300 feet away); Majestic Cleaners (about 400 feet away); Devils Lake State Bank (about 400 feet away); Devils Lake Flood Management (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Devils Lake.
 
Marker detail: Keating's Furniture Annex image. Click for full size.
2. Marker detail: Keating's Furniture Annex
Keating's Furniture Annex Marker image. Click for full size.
3. Keating's Furniture Annex Marker
(Ramsey National Bank in background)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 118 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 15, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=162605

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024