Hondo in Medina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Following Texas Emancipation in 1865, many freed slaves remained in this area on their former masters' farms. By 1869 Blacks had organized a church and a school on the north bank of Hondo Creek (about 2 Mi. N).
Beginning in 1876, landowner L.L. White (d. 1889) sold small farm plats on the north and south banks of Hondo Creek exclusively to Blacks. White, an abolitionist before the Civil War, was a native of Massachusetts and settler in Henri Castro's colony.
The community on the south bank was named Mission Valley by Austin Grant, one of the first settlers. Residents on both banks of Hondo Creek established common facilities within walking distance of both settlements. Before 1881 their church building housed both Methodist and Baptist congregations and the school. Cottonwood Cemetery overlooks the creek, its oldest tombstone dates 1886. Emancipation Oak was the site of Emancipation Day pilgrimages on June 19.
Many of the settlers and the Methodist church moved to the new railroad town of Hondo (2 Mi. SW) after 1881. The Baptist church moved to Hondo in 1904. Descendants of the first settlers lived at Mission
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986.
Sponsored by the Hondo Sesquicentennial Committee
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3418.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is June 19, 1865.
Location. 29° 22.434′ N, 99° 9.333′ W. Marker is in Hondo, Texas, in Medina County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 462 and Castro Avenue, on the left when traveling west on Highway 462. The marker is located east of the entrance to the Hondo City Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hondo TX 78861, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hondo Army Air Field (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named Hondo Army Air Field (approx. 1.4 miles away); Old Medina County Jail (approx. 1.8 miles away); Stephen F. Austin Memorial Oak Tree (approx. 1.8 miles away); Medina County Courthouse (approx. 1.8 miles away); Hondo Methodist Church Southern Pacific Depot (approx. 1.9 miles away); Hondo (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hondo.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 200 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.