Hondo in Medina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Built in 1907 for Ernest Roland Leinweber (1869-1922), a prominent Hondo businessman, this three-story commercial building was constructed by prolific South Texas contractor Gus Birkner, who also participated in the construction of the Texas State Capitol. Built with locally produced brick, the structure features some influences of Classical and Romanesque styles of architecture. The Hondo Landmark has housed a variety of professional and commercial offices.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3068.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
Location. 29° 20.941′ N, 99° 8.513′ W. Marker is in Hondo, Texas, in Medina County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue M (Farm to Market Road 462) and 17th Street, on the right when traveling south on Avenue M. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hondo TX 78861, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hondo (within shouting distance of this marker); Fohn-Bless StoreMedina County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Stephen F. Austin Memorial Oak Tree (about 600 feet away); Hondo Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Old Medina County Jail (about 700 feet away); Medina County War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint John The Evangelist Catholic Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hondo.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 131 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.