Hondo in Medina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Saint John The Evangelist Catholic Church
Constructed of Seco brick in 1912, this is the second church structure to serve the Catholic community in Hondo. Designed by San Antonio architect Fred Bowen Gaenslen, it was built by Alfred R. Wottlin during the pastorate of the Rev. J.J. Meyers. Used for all worship services until 1969, it was rededicated as a Parish Hall in 1972. The brick detailing, round arches and tripartite window are typical features of the Romanesque Revival style.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1992
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5040.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 20.69′ N, 99° 8.361′ W. Marker is in Hondo, Texas, in Medina County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue J and 22nd Street, on the right when traveling south on Avenue J. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2106 Avenue J, Hondo TX 78861, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fohn-Bless Store (approx. ¼ mile away); Leinweber Building Hondo (approx. 0.3 miles away); Medina County (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hondo Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Medina County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Stephen F. Austin Memorial Oak Tree (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Medina County Jail (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hondo.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.