Yancey in Medina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Yancey is one of the small, historic and unincorporated communities in Medina County. Named for sons of the original townsite's owners, Yancey Kilgore and Yancey Strait, the community was known as "Tehuacana" or "Moss" in earlier times.
In 1897, a post office was established and Benjamin F. Moss brought mail by horseback from Hondo twice weekly. A country store and cotton gin had also been established by that time. Later, in 1913, three smaller schools, the Stiles, Community and Tehuacana schools were consolidated into one larger school which was located here.
By 1914, Yancey had 350 inhabitants, two general stores, a drug store cotton gin and a blacksmith shop. Yancey was widely known at that time for the quality of its peaches plums and watermelons.
Not on a major highway or railroad Yancey, in earlier times, was almost entirely dependent upon agriculture. Principal products were cattle, hogs goats, corn, cotton, pecans, honey, broomcorn and sorgum grains. A small gas field operated locally for a short period. In 1924, the town was grouped about a store, post office, two churches and a school which later
Eventually the Yancey school closed, but, in its heyday, Yancey High School was known as a Basketball and six-man Football Power. Yancey's churches have long been an important element in the lives of the community's citizens.
Medina County Historical Commission - 2002
Erected 2002 by Medina County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Education • Settlements & Settlers • Sports.
Location. 29° 8.384′ N, 99° 8.25′ W. Marker is in Yancey, Texas, in Medina County. Marker is at the intersection of County Highway 743 and Farm to Market Road 462, on the right when traveling west on County Highway 743. The marker is located at the front of the Yancey Post Office. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Yancey TX 78886, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Yancey United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tehuacana Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Moore Catholic Cemetery (approx. 9˝ miles away); Moore Cemetery (approx. 10.2 miles away); Charco de la Pita (approx. 12.1 miles away); Spanish Exploration in Medina CountyMedina County (approx. 14.1 miles away); Site of Saint Dominic Catholic Church and Cemetery (approx. 14.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yancey.
Also see . . . Yancey, Texas. The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on December 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.