Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Fort Collins in Larimer County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Poudre Valley Bank/Salvation Army

 
 
Poudre Valley Bank/Salvation Army Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel
1. Poudre Valley Bank/Salvation Army Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1878 as a 19.5 x 30' one-story flat-front structure, 233 Linden was one of the earliest brick buildings in Ft. Collins. It was the home of Poudre Valley Bank (later United Bank, Norwest Bank, now Wells Fargo Bank), founded by William Stover and Charles Sheldon. The bank prospered, outgrowing this location by 1883. 233 Linden became a jewelry store owned by E.W. Reed, then housed a succession of barber shops.

In 1902, the second story was added and pushed back to 75' in length (see brick lines in alley). The addition became what is today 235 Linden, and 233 was remodeled to the recessed doorway, retail-style storefront. The second floor served as a boarding house until the 1920's when the Salvation Army occupied the entire building. For almost 40 years 233-235 served the Army as a church, offices, housing and a soup kitchen. For several years in the 1960s and 70s, 233 was a second hand store and 235 was a residence.

In 1981, local preservationist Jim Reidhead completely restored the building and pushed the length to the lot line (19.5 x 90'). 233 became an antique shop and 235 became a three-level loft apartment
Poudre Valley Bank/Salvation Army Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel
2. Poudre Valley Bank/Salvation Army Marker
for the Reidheads. In 1991, designer and artist Bob Coonts purchased the building and converted it into office and work space for his commercial graphics and design businesses. The building sold again in 2003 with 233 continuing as retail space. In 2007, 235 was remodeled back to a loft apartment.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location. 40° 35.322′ N, 105° 4.493′ W. Marker is in Fort Collins, Colorado, in Larimer County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Linden Street and Old Firehouse Alley, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Collins CO 80524, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 218 Linden (within shouting distance of this marker); Blunck House (approx. ¼ mile away); Mosman House (approx. ¼ mile away); Auntie Stone Cabin (approx. 0.3 miles away); Carnegie Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); Antoine Janis Cabin (approx. 0.3 miles away); The William C. Stover House (approx. half a mile away); Donated Land for the Agricultural College (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Collins.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 17, 2020, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 35 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 17, 2020, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 7, 2021