Fort Wayne in Allen County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Allen County Courthouse
The county's first courthouse was built on "court-house square" in 1831 but was so poorly constructed it had to be abandoned several years later, as unsafe. The second courthouse was erected in 1847 by local contractor Samuel Edsall, but this soon proved to be inadequate. The third courthouse was a large brick structure designed by Edwin May of Indianapolis; its cornerstone was laid in May 1861 and the building was in use by July 1862.
The courthouse yard was the scene of many patriotic gatherings during the Civil War and afterward; however, by the 1890s the building had become so dilapidated that it had to be replaced. A proposal for a shared building for both the city and the county was abandoned when no agreement
Erected by Journal-Gazette Foundation, and Organization for Historic Preservation (ARCH).
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list.
Location. 41° 4.811′ N, 85° 8.381′ W. Marker is in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in Allen County. Marker is at the intersection of South Calhoun Street and East Main Street, on the right when traveling north on South Calhoun Street. Marker is located at the northwest corner of the subject Allen County Courthouse building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 715 South Calhoun Street, Fort Wayne IN 46802, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Police Station (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Journal Gazette Building (about 400 feet away); Major General Anthony Wayne (about 500 feet away); The Elektron Building (about 600 feet away); The Canal House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mother George (approx. 0.2 miles Pirogue Landing (approx. 0.3 miles away); John B. Franke (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Wayne.
Regarding The Allen County Courthouse. National Register of Historic Places #76000031. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2003.
Also see . . .
1. Allen County Courthouse Preservation Trust. Completed in 1902, it was a gift to future generations from visionary leaders who wished to express in art and architecture the dignity of the government, the supremacy of the people and the grandeur of the law. The Allen County Courthouse is recognized as a National Historic Landmark for its original murals and sculptures, scagliola faux marbling, unique tile floor designs and abundant stained glass. (Submitted on December 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Allen County Courthouse (Wikipedia). The Beaux-Arts architecture-style structure includes such features as four 25-by-45-foot murals by Charles Holloway, twenty-eight different kinds of scagiola covering 15,000 square feet, bas-reliefs and art glass. (Submitted on December 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. National Register of Historic Places Nomination. (Submitted on December 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 18, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 48 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on December 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.