Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Fort Wayne in Allen County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church

 
 
St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 27, 2016
1. St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker
Inscription.  Organized by Rev. Jesse Hoover on October 14, 1837, with a congregation of 24 families, it was the first Lutheran church in the Fort Wayne area. A school was organized by Rev. Hoover the same year. Originally known as the First Evangelical Lutheran Church, the present name was adopted in 1846 when it became part of the newly formed Missouri Synod.
 
Erected by Allen County - Fort Wayne Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 41° 4.519′ N, 85° 8.13′ W. Marker is in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in Allen County. Marker is at the intersection of South Barr Street and East Lewis Street, on the left when traveling north on South Barr Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1126 South Barr Street, Fort Wayne IN 46802, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cathedral of Immaculate Conception (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Richardville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Emboyd Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away); Abraham Lincoln • The Hoosier Youth
St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 27, 2016
2. St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker
(approx. ¼ mile away); The Elektron Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mother George (approx. 0.3 miles away); The First Police Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Site of General Wayne's Fort (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Wayne.
 
Regarding St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church. National Register of Historic Places #82000058.
 
Also see . . .
1. Saint Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church (Wikipedia). It is the second oldest Lutheran church in Indiana and the oldest in the northern part of the state. It has long played a prominent role in Indiana Lutheranism and in the Missouri Synod as a whole. The congregation's first sanctuary was constructed in 1839, built on the site of the present sanctuary. The congregation constructed a second, wood frame church in 1847, building an addition to this structure in 1862. The present church was first completed and dedicated in 1889, but a 1903 fire forced a near-complete rebuild of the structure. (Submitted on December 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. National Register of Historic Places Nomination. (Submitted on December 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 27, 2016
3. St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 18, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 37 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021