First Methodist Church of Farmersville
This congregation traces its beginning to organized Methodist classes conducted in 1856 by the Rev. J. W. Chalk in a local schoolhouse west of the pioneer town of Farmersville. A community wide all-night revival held in Farmersville’s lone church structure in 1870 aroused many in attendance to join the Methodist congregation. Arbor meetings were held for 15 years on property near Brushy Creek owned by Sam R. and Mary Hamilton beginning in 1873.
The congregation built its first church structure at this location in 1875. The one-room building was razed and replaced in 1902 with a grand ornate church building designed by James Edward Flanders. The magnificent structure was destroyed by fire at great cost to the congregation in 1924. Church services were held in the Cornes theater before a new Greek revival style church structure was complete in 1926.
The congregation has a history of service to local community. Space in the church building was used for a community blood drive and as an air raid shelter during World War II. Renamed the First United Methodist Church in 1968. The congregation has sponsored youth programs in New
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6151.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 33° 9.926′ N, 96° 21.586′ W. Marker is in Farmersville, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (U.S. 78) and Houston Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 206 N Main Street, Farmersville TX 75442, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Farmersville Masonic Lodge (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bain-Honaker House (about 700 feet away); Audie Murphy’s Homecoming (approx. 0.2 miles away); Honaker-Holsonbake House (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Farmersville (approx. ¼ mile away); Farmersville I.O.O.F. Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Farmersville (approx. 0.6 miles away); Huson Cemetery (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farmersville.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 18, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 38 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 18, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.