Farmersville in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Farmersville
Fifteen charter members, meeting under a brush arbor at this site on May 14, 1865, organized the First Baptist Church and chose the Rev. John C. Averitt (1818-1895) as the first pastor. Worship services were held in private homes and later in the Masonic Hall on the east side of the town square. After a successful interdenominational revival, the Baptists decided to erect a permanent church building. The congregation bought the site of the old brush arbor and in 1877 built a simple frame church. A bell installed in the steeple heralded special events to the community.
Another successful revival in 1898 emphasized the need for a larger structure. More land was acquired and the present church building constructed in 1900. A combination of several architectural styles, the brick edifice is topped by a roof of pressed metal. The exterior walls of the sanctuary form a multisided projection flanked by matching towers with steeply pitched roofs. The bell from the 1877 church was transferred to the north belfry. Educational buildings were added in 1938 and 1955-56.
This congregation provides many community-oriented services, including
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1977
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6133.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 33° 9.749′ N, 96° 21.679′ W. Marker is in Farmersville, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is on South Washington Street south of McKinney Street (U.S. 78), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 124 S Washington St, Farmersville TX 75442, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Audie Murphy’s Homecoming (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Farmersville Masonic Lodge (about 600 feet away); Bain-Honaker House (about 800 feet away); First Methodist Church of Farmersville (approx. ¼ mile away); Honaker-Holsonbake House (approx. ¼ mile away); Farmersville (approx. half a mile away); Farmersville I.O.O.F. Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away); Huson Cemetery (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farmersville.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 19, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 26 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 19, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.