Benicia in Solano County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
1849 - Benicia Arsenal – 1964
Erected 1964 by The Historic Landmarks Committee of the Native Sons of the Golden West and Benicia Parlor No.89, Native Sons of the Golden West. Marker dedicated at Benicia Arsenal California, March 31, 1964. (Marker Number 176.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 38° 2.858′ N, 122° 8.361′ W. Marker is in Benicia, California, in Solano County. Marker is at the intersection of Jefferson Street and Adams Street, on the right when traveling east on Jefferson Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Benicia CA 94510, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gen. Quandt Lane (approx. 0.3 miles away); Commandant's Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Clock Tower (approx. 0.4 miles away); Camel Barns (approx. half a mile away); 1854 – Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church – 1954 (approx. one mile away); Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. one mile away); World War I Memorial (approx. one mile away); Site of Benicia Seminary (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Benicia.
Regarding 1849 - Benicia Arsenal – 1964. This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 176 on March 6, 1935.
Statement of Significance:
Captain Charles P. Stone, with 21 enlisted men, established Benicia Arsenal as an ordnance depot in August 1851. The first building, a small wooden powder magazine, was erected in September 1851. Between 1853 and 1863, Congress authorized $550,000 to be spent on the establishment, and some 15 stone and frame buildings were constructed. The arsenal was first called 'California Ordnance Depot,' then 'Benicia Arsenal Depot,' and finally, in the spring of 1852, 'Benicia Arsenal.' It played an important role in crises such as the Indian
Thi site was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on November 7, 1976.
Also see . . .
1. The Posts at Benicia. (Submitted on February 20, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. Benicia Arsenal. (Submitted on February 20, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
3. The Benicia Chamber of Commerce – History of Benicia. Benicia Arsenal: From 1849 to 1964, the Benicia Arsenal housed millions of pounds of ammunition and explosives. Now it's home to some of the Bay Area's successful artists and craftpersons. In 1849 Benicia's founders gave 345 acres of land near the Carquinez Strait to the Army. In 1850 the Arsenal became the first ordinance supply depot on the West Coast, supplying equipment and munitions for conflicts from the Civil War through Korean War. The federal government decided to close the base in 1960 and in 1964 the Army turned the Arsenal over to the City of Benicia. The Arsenal became the hub of Benicia industry. Some of its large warehouses were used to store goods and some were converted to machine shops (Submitted on February 20, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
4. A drawing of the Benicia Arsenal, circa 1877 (Submitted on February 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
1. The Military Role
For over 100 years the military was a dominate presence in Benicia, strongly influencing the economic and social life of the community. Established in 1851, the Arsenal stored powder and weapons and furnished arms and material to survey parties and interior forts. It dispatched Western troops to the Civil War and Spanish-American War, and served as Pacific Coast Ordinance Headquarters during World Wars I and II and the Korean conflict. Activities gradually declined until the government finally ordered the closure of the Arsenal in March 1964.
Source: Historic Benicia Walking Tour Brochure.
— Submitted February 20, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Categories. • Military •
More. Search the internet for 1849 - Benicia Arsenal – 1964.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 20, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,541 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 20, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 4. submitted on February 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 5, 6. submitted on February 20, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 7. submitted on April 5, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 8, 9. submitted on February 20, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.