Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Plymouth in Marshall County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Plymouth's First Fire Alarm

 
 
Plymouth's First Fire Alarm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 26, 2016
1. Plymouth's First Fire Alarm Marker
Inscription.  
This bell was
Plymouth’s first
fire alarm,
purchased in 1879

Re-dedicated
July 9, 1995
in honor of all
Plymouth firefighters
Past • Present • Future

 
Erected 1995.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkCommunications. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells 🔔 series list.
 
Location. 41° 20.488′ N, 86° 18.623′ W. Marker is in Plymouth, Indiana, in Marshall County. Marker is on North Center Street just south of West Washington Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located beside the sidewalk near the northwest corner of the former Plymouth Fire House. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 North Center Street, Plymouth IN 46563, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Honor Roll - Marshall County Indiana (approx. 0.2 miles away); Replica of The Statue of Liberty (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Crossroads of America / The Lincoln Highway (approx.
Plymouth's First Fire Alarm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 26, 2016
2. Plymouth's First Fire Alarm Marker
¼ mile away); First Meeting of Marshall County (approx. 1.4 miles away); Taber Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away); Chief Menominee (approx. 4.2 miles away); Potawatomi Indian Village (approx. 4.2 miles away); Roberts Cemetery (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plymouth.
 
Also see . . .  The History of Plymouth. Incorporated as a city in 1873, Plymouth quickly became an important stop along the Michigan Road. The City was originally platted as a town by John Sering, James Blair and William Polk in 1834. Plymouth was selected as the county seat in 1836. The historic Michigan Road formed the center axis through downtown Plymouth, providing a broad thoroughfare with wide sidewalks and angled parking. The downtown area has a number of historic commercial buildings, most built between 1870 and 1940. (Submitted on December 20, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Plymouth's First Fire Alarm Bell image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 26, 2016
3. Plymouth's First Fire Alarm Bell
Purchased by the City of Plymouth, Indiana
in the year 1879, A.D.
Perry O. Jones, Mayor
Councilmen —
Timothy Cassler, Joseph Bennett,
Ben. Linkenheld, Sigmund Mayer,
John Soice, Dwight L. Dickinson.
Andrew H. Korp, Chief Fire Department
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 20, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 39 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 20, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 3, 2021