Robert Johnson (1745-1815) / Jemima Suggett Johnson (1753-1814)
Robert Johnson (1745-1815). Moved from Beargrass to Bryan’s Station in 1780. Founded Johnson’s Station at Great Crossing, 1783. Represented Fayette Co. in Va. Assembly. Surveyor of Ky. Led defense against Indians, 1787-93. Trustee of Georgetown. Member of Ky. Constitutional Conventions of 1792 & 1799 and Ky. Legislature in 1802. Justice of Scott Co.
Jemima Suggett Johnson (1753-1814). Tradition holds that she led women at Bryan’s Station to nearby spring for water just before siege, 1782. Three sons served in U.S. Congress in 1825: Rep. James & John T. and Sen. Richard M. Johnson, who became U.S. vice president in 1837. Charter members & land donors of Great Crossing Baptist Church. Buried with 5 of 11 children in church cemetery.
Erected 2011. (Marker Number 2363.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Choctaw Indian Academy (a few steps from this marker); U.S. Vice President (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ward Hall (approx. 0.8 miles away); Payne-Desha House / Joseph Desha (1768-1842) (approx. 2.2 miles away); Cardome (approx. 2.2 miles away); Hemp in Scott County / Hemp in Kentucky (approx. 2.2 miles away); Scott County Revolutionary War Memorial (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Beginnings of George Town (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Additional keywords. Constitutional Convention 1792, Constitutional Convention 1799
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 20, 2020, by Frank Profitt of Georgetown, Kentucky. This page has been viewed 39 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 20, 2020, by Frank Profitt of Georgetown, Kentucky. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.