Junius R. Ward had this mansion (75 ft. by 75 ft.) built circa 1855. Striking features are its coquina (coral and fossils) foundation, 40 ft. columns, and stone window and door frames. A frequent guest was his niece-noted southern belle Sallie Ward. After the Civil War devastated his fortune, Ward sold estate in 1867. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Built as summer home, Greek Revival house in Corinthian motif has two roofs. Bottom is slate; top, once copper, had a huge copper tank for water. Deep rubbed walnut woodwork, variety of Greek trim on cornices, and an elliptical staircase are part of mansion's lavish detail. Among past owners was Col. Milton Hamilton, who offered house to legislature for state capitol.
Erected 1983 by Kentucky Historical Society. (Marker Number 1734.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list.
Location. 38° 12.52′ N, 84° 35.368′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robert Johnson (1745-1815) / Jemima Suggett Johnson (1753-1814) (approx. 0.8 miles away); Choctaw Indian Academy (approx. 0.8 miles away); U.S. Vice President (approx. one mile away); Payne-Desha House / Joseph Desha (1768-1842) (approx. 1.4 miles away); Scott County Revolutionary War Memorial (approx. 1˝ miles away); The Beginnings of George Town (approx. 1˝ miles away); Birthplace of Bourbon (approx. 1˝ miles away); Scott County Jail / Scott County Jailer's House (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 20, 2020, by Frank Profitt of Georgetown, Kentucky. This page has been viewed 33 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 21, 2020, by Frank Profitt of Georgetown, Kentucky. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.