Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Avenue L Missionary Baptist Church
One of the oldest black congregations in Texas, this church grew from the slave membership of the First Baptist Church of Galveston, organized in 1840 by the Rev. James Huckins. By the early 1850s the blacks were worshiping in a separate building. In 1855 land for use by the fellowship, then known as the African Baptist Church, was purchased from Galveston City Company by First Baptist trustees Gail Borden, Jr., James Huckins, and John S. Sydnor. Following the Civil War, the property was formally deeded to the congregation, reorganized under the leadership of the Rev. I. S. Campbell as the First Regular Missionary Baptist Church. About 1903, during the pastorate of the Rev. P. A. Shelton, the present name was adopted.
Prominent pastors here have included the Rev. H. M. Williams, 1904-33, moderator of the Lincoln District Baptist Association; the Rev. g. L. Prince, 1934-56, later president of the National Baptist Convention and of Mary Allen College in Crockett, Texas; and the Rev. R. E. McKeen, 1957-78, who also served as moderator of the Lincoln District Association.
Since the 1840s, members of the Avenue L Missionary
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9929.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
Location. 29° 17.836′ N, 94° 47.727′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue L and 27th Street, on the right when traveling west on Avenue L. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2612 Avenue L, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jack Johnson (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Public Education for Blacks in Galveston (about 500 feet away); Helen E. Ebert (about 700 feet away); The Moody Home (about 800 feet away); Quigg-Baulard Cottage (about 800 feet away); Sweeney-Royston House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wesley Tabernacle United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); James N. Davis House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 21, 2020, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 104 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 21, 2020, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.