White River Greenway
Potter's Bridge: Spanning Through Time
Potter's Bridge was built in 1871 by Josiah Durfee of Noblesville for a mere $13,000. It connects the land called "Potter's Ford,” named for William A. Potter (1838-1883) who owned and farmed the surrounding land.
Why Were Bridges Covered?
Wooden bridges were susceptible to rotting after exposure to moisture. A roof over the bridge protected the main support structure. Eventually, iron bridges replaced covered wooden bridges.
Potter's Bridge is an example of a Howe Truss, a design patented by William Howe in 1840. A Howe Truss uses iron vertical rods instead of wood. This creates a stronger, lighter bridge. The iron tension rods can be tightened or loosened, keeping the bridge in perfect alignment.
Erected by Hamilton County Parks & Recreation Dept.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Architecture • Bridges & Viaducts. In addition, it is included in the Covered Bridges 🌉 series list.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Potter's Covered Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); The Central Canal (approx. 0.8 miles away); Crownland Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Bordner-Paskins Building (approx. 1.9 miles away); Conner Street Historic District (approx. 1.9 miles away); First National Bank (approx. 1.9 miles away); Sowerwine Building (approx. 1.9 miles away); Craycraft Block (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Noblesville.
Also see . . . Potter's Covered Bridge. (Submitted on December 21, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 21, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 44 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 21, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.