About The Stockdale Mill
14,000 Gallons per MinuteHistory
pass through the Stockdale Mill Dam
The building itself is
Over 160 Years Old
The building is on the
National Register of Historic Places
The Stockdale Mill has always exclusively used Water Power
One of the most
Photographed / Painted Vistas in the region
The Mill Foundation consists entirely of Volunteers
Mill Tours are available each Saturday in May- October from noon - 4pm
For more information, visit stockdalemill.org
1839 Thomas Goudy received authorization from the Indiana General Assembly to construct a dam across the Eel River at this location. His dam was constructed from timbers and field stone covered by planks.
1840 Thomas Goudy built the first mill at this location. It was operational for 14 years before being washed away by a flood.
1857 The current mill structure was built by partners Daniel Baker and Samuel Rank.
1916 James Madison
1964 Commercial production of flour ceased.
2002 The mill was purchased by Dwight and Susanne Fouts who transferred ownership over to the Stockdale Mill Foundation preservation group which oversees ongoing restoration.
The Stockdale Mill Dam provides head water to power the mill. A mill race channels water to three Leffel water turbines located in a sub-basement or "penstock” underneath the mill, generating a total of 75 horsepower.
In the basement gears, shafts, pulleys, and belting distribute the power to roller mills on the main level that do the grinding.
The second Jevel is primarily used for storage of wheat, flour, bran, and middlings. The top level has equipment for sifting as well as cleaning wheat.
Four floors of operating machinery could produce around 50 barrels of white flour per day.
After remaining silent since 1964, recent years have seen a rebirth of the spirit of the old mill. Standing beside the river today, one cannot help but feel wonder and admiration for the early pioneers and settlers.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 40° 54.817′ N, 85° 56.567′ W. Marker is in Stockdale, Indiana, in Wabash County. Marker is on Indiana Route 16 0.1 miles east of Indiana Route 16, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6071 N 800 W, Roann IN 46974, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tradition Meets Innovation (here, next to this marker); Stockdale Mill (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Roann Covered Bridge (approx. one mile away); Miami Indian Mills (approx. 8.8 miles away); Wabash County (Indiana) Honor Rolls (approx. 10.2 miles away); First Electrically Lighted City (approx. 10.2 miles away); Brush Carbon Arc Light (approx. 10.2 miles away); Thomas F. Payne / Modoc (approx. 10.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stockdale.
Also see . . . Stockdale Mill. (Submitted on December 22, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 22, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 38 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 22, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.