Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Helotes in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

R.L. White Ranch

 
 
R.L. White Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 16, 2020
1. R.L. White Ranch Marker
Inscription.  

Ryall Luther White (1878-1962) was born in Jasper, Texas to John Luther Calvin White and Texanna Priscilla Ryall White. He married his wife, Ethel Gertrude Smyth, in 1907 and began working for his father-in-law as the manager of the Uvalde Rock Asphalt Company. In 1920, he resigned to open his own paving company, the Alamo Paving Company, in San Antonio paving exclusively with rock asphalt. White bought his own rock asphalt mine to have his own supply of the material and joined forces with his brother, Tom White. By 1928, Whites Mine Corporation had developed a new process to manufacture onsite a cold-mix paving material and the company began to market the product during the Great Depression.

In 1926, White began to build the ranch which was to become one of the largest ranches in northwest Bexar county. The ranch reflects Whites desire to impress his guests with Texas rustic-style architecture on a grand scale. The best example of this style is the Lake Pavilion. It is a two-story rectangular, symmetrical stone structure designed in this architectural style. The building uses the locally available gray and cream-colored limestone
R.L. White Marker on Highway 16 image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 16, 2020
2. R.L. White Marker on Highway 16
to face the walls, inside and out. The Main House, also called Gerties House after Whites wife, is a rectangular, single-story, end-gabled stone house also designed in the rustic style with gray, asphalt shingles. The Red Cottage, a square, one-story, front end gabled, wood frame house with red-painted siding and a standing seam metal roof, was built in 1926. It was one of the first buildings and used to keep horses which were sold to the U.S. Army. Today, the ranch's 3500 acres and historic buildings reflect the tradition of Texas' grand homesteads.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2012
Marker is property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17310.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce.
 
Location. 29° 36.96′ N, 98° 44.985′ W. Marker is near Helotes, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is on Bandera Road (State Highway 16) 0.1 miles west of Helotes Canyon Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Helotes TX 78023, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Scenic Loop Playground (approx. 3.9 miles away); Marnoch Homestead (approx. 4.3 miles away); John T. Floore Country Store
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 4.4 miles away); Gugger Homestead (approx. 4˝ miles away); Helotes (approx. 4˝ miles away); Scenic Loop - Boerne Stage - Toutant-Beauregard (approx. 6.4 miles away); Zion Lutheran Church (approx. 6.8 miles away); Zion Lutheran Church and Cemetery (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Helotes.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 22, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 26 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 22, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 2, 2021