Chambers Ave. / Ed Davis School
Site of school built in 1894 for African American students. First principal, Charles Steele was founder of the school and of black education in Georgetown. He served until his death in 1908. Edward B. Davis, principal 1908-34, added a two-year high school in 1911 and four-year program in 1924.
Under Davis's leadership, school became one of 19 black high schools accredited in Kentucky. Name changed to Ed Davis School in 1929. Football team "Mud Turtles" won Blue Grass Conference in 1929, 1930, 1949; tied with Dunbar, 1948. Grade school closed, 1937. Supreme Court's 1954 ruling on segregation led to high school's closing, 1956.
Erected 2003 by Kentucky Historical Society, presented by Ed Davis Reunion Committee. (Marker Number 2112.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education • Sports. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list.
Location. 38° 12.853′ N, 84° 33.136′ W. Marker is
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Georgetown College (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Scott County Courthouse / Goebel Trial Here (approx. half a mile away); Scott County, 1792 (approx. half a mile away); Remember the Raisin! (approx. half a mile away); Gen. Basil W. Duke, C.S.A. / Basil W. Duke (1838-1916) (approx. half a mile away); Scott County Jail / Scott County Jailer's House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Royal Spring (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 22, 2020, by Frank Profitt of Georgetown, Kentucky. This page has been viewed 26 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 22, 2020, by Frank Profitt of Georgetown, Kentucky. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.