Benicia in Solano County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
First Masonic Hall Built in California
Erected 1950 by The Historic Landmarks Committee, Native Sons of the Golden West, Benicia Parlor No.89, Native Sons of the Golden West and Benicia Parlor No.287 Native Daughters of the Golden West. Marker dedicated on December 17, 1950. (Marker Number 174.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmark, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series lists.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 W J Street, Benicia CA 94510, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1854 – Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church – 1954 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away); Site of the First Protestant Church in California (about 400 feet away); World War I Memorial (about 600 feet away); Site of Benicia Seminary (about 600 feet away); Fischer-Hanlon House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Founders of Benicia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Semple (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Benicia.
Regarding First Masonic Hall Built in California. This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.174 on March 6, 1935 and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 16, 1972.
Also see . . .
1. The City of Benicia is Born. (Submitted on February 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. A Brief History of Sublime Benicia No.5 Lodge & Halls. (Submitted on February 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
1. Masonic Temple (1850)
The first Masonic Temple in California was constructed in 1850 on land donated by Alexander Riddell and with lumber donated by Benicia founder Robert Semple. The lower floor of the building was used as a courtroom and county offices prior to completion of the State Capital building in 1853. Benicia was the county seat for Solano County at that time. The second floor of this building is virtually unchanged and has remarkably ornate woodwork made by California frontier craftsmen.
Source: Historic Downtown Benicia Walking Tour brochure.
— Submitted February 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,502 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.