Weimar in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Weimar Railroad Depot
Weimar was founded in 1873 when T.W. Peirce, president of the Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Railroad, built a depot here on property of D.W. Jackson (1829-1904). Peirce and Jackson shared the profits from sale of town lots. Before the coming of the railroad, transportation had posed a major problem for this area. Named for a German town that Peirce admired, Weimar quickly became a leading trade center. The first depot was replaced in 1925 by the present structure. In 1972 the Southern Pacific Railroad donated the building for use as the Weimar Public Library.
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5742.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 29° 42.108′ N, 96° 46.808′ W. Marker is in Weimar, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is at the intersection of Jackson Square (Old Highway 3) and South Center Street, on the right when traveling west on Jackson Square. The marker is located directly Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Jackson Square, Weimar TX 78962, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Weimar Masonic Lodge No. 423 (within shouting distance of this marker); Town of Weimar (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Michael’s Catholic Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Holman-Seifert Homestead (approx. 0.7 miles away); John Pettit Borden (approx. 0.8 miles away); Weimar Masonic Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Dubina (approx. 3.8 miles away); Old Osage (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weimar.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 23, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 25 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 23, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.