Weimar in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Holman-Seifert Homestead
John T. Holman (1818-1900), who came from Virginia to Texas in 1837, built this house about 1875. Married three times, he had 18 children and made fortunes in cattle and cotton. Heirs sold the house in 1901 to John Banse, who sold (1907) to Anton Seifert, a local gin owner. Frank Banse, son of John, bought it in 1917, razed five rooms in the rear, and made additions altering the Greek Revival exterior. In 1953, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Seifert bought the house, restored the portion that remained from the original, and built an addition to the north.
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2512.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 42.481′ N, 96° 47.295′ W. Marker is in Weimar, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Seifert Loop and West North Street, on the right when traveling west. The marker is located at the front gate to the homestead and it can be seen from Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 Seifert Loop, Weimar TX 78962, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Michael’s Catholic Church (approx. half a mile away); Weimar Masonic Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Town of Weimar (approx. 0.6 miles away); John Pettit Borden (approx. 0.6 miles away); Weimar Masonic Lodge No. 423 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Weimar Railroad Depot (approx. 0.7 miles away); Dubina (approx. 3.1 miles away); Old Osage (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weimar.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 23, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 25 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 23, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.