Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Benicia in Solano County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

1854 – Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church – 1954

In Honor of the One Hundredth Anniversary

 
 
1854 – Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church – 1954 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, February 20, 2009
1. 1854 – Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church – 1954 Marker
Inscription.  Founded September 24, 1854, with the first service conducted by lay reader Major F. D. Townsend, U.S. Army, in the “Old Capital Building”, constructed from plans presented by Colonel Julian McAlister, of the Benicia Arsenal, in April 1859; Consecrated on February 12, 1860 by the Right Reverend William Ingraham Kip, D.D., First Episcopal Bishop of California; The Cathedral of the Missionary District of Northern California, 1874 – 1899. Under the Right Reverend J.H.D. Wingfield, D.D., First Episcopal Theological Seminary in the West, of Saint Augustine’s School for Boys, of Saint Mary’s of the Pacific for Girls, under Dean James Lloyd Breck, D.D. Served through the century by loyal clergymen and lay persons for the Glory of God and his Kingdom.
 
Erected 1954 by The Historic Landmarks Committee, Grand Parlor, Native Sons of the Golden West. Benicia Parlor No.89, Native Sons of the Golden West and Benicia Parlor No.287, Native Daughters of the Golden West. Marker dedicated during the Centennial Observance of Saint Paul’s Church, October 17, 1954.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker
1854 – Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church – 1954 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, February 19, 2009
2. 1854 – Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church – 1954 Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 24, 1854.
 
Location. 38° 3.115′ N, 122° 9.397′ W. Marker is in Benicia, California, in Solano County. Marker is located at the foot of the steps of St. Paul's Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 East J Street, Benicia CA 94510, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (here, next to this marker); First Masonic Hall Built in California (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of the First Protestant Church in California (about 600 feet away); World War I Memorial (about 600 feet away); Site of Benicia Seminary (about 800 feet away); Fischer-Hanlon House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Founders of Benicia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Semple (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Benicia.
 
Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church image. Click for more information.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, February 20, 2009
3. Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church
(Marker is located in the garden to the left of the steps.)
Click for more information.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,330 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=16322

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 25, 2022