Schulenburg in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. James Missionary Baptist Church
St. James Missionary Baptist Church was founded in 1874 and is one of the oldest African American congregations in the city of Schulenburg. Members first met on the banks of a creek, under the leadership of the Rev. S.T. Grant, but the congregation later constructed a church building on the northeast side of Schulenburg. The church functioned under the guidance of the Baptist Missionary and Educational Convention, and the congregation hosted many of the association's meetings. During the 1930s, the city of Schulenburg purchased the church's property, and the church building was relocated adjacent to Wolters Park.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15964.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 40.486′ N, 96° 54.827′ W. Marker is in Schulenburg, Texas, in Fayette County. Marker is on James Avenue (County Highway 957) just south of South Street, on the left when traveling south. The marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1103 James Avenue, Schulenburg TX 78956, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jacob Wolters Log Cabin (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Turner Hall (about 600 feet away); Schulenburg (approx. half a mile away); Old Anderson Place (approx. 0.6 miles away); Schulenburg City Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Bermuda Valley Farm (approx. ¾ mile away); Carl T. Morene: A Shorthorn Forever (approx. ¾ mile away); Lyons Family Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Schulenburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.