Flatonia in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This two-story brick structure was built between 1896 and 1901 by Flatonia Physician G.W. Allen, Sr. The first known use of the building as a hotel occurred in 1915, when it was purchased and operated by Carrie Snell. Flatonia's railroads created the need for boarding houses and hotels to lodge the many drummers, or traveling salesmen, who crossed the countryside by rail. In 1926 Otto Olle purchased the hotel, operated by him and later his wife until her death in 1967. The building then sat vacant until 1999. The colonial revival style building featured tall ceilings, double-hung windows and a covered veranda for ventilation, with a major expansion during the Olle's ownership.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2009
Marker is Property of the State of Texas
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15738.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
Location. 29° 41.151′ N, 97° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 218 South Market Street, Flatonia TX 78941, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mike Schulze Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wheeler Building (about 600 feet away); Flatonia (about 700 feet away); Flatonia Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); The American Doughboy (approx. 0.8 miles away); Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Novohrad School (approx. 5½ miles away); Salem Memorial Cemetery (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flatonia.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 168 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.