Leonard in Fannin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Leonard
This brick structure was built as the second sanctuary for the Leonard Methodist congregation which was organized three years after the founding of the town in 1880. Completed in 1906, it was constructed during the pastorate of the Rev. E.G. Roberts and the Rev. S.P. Ulrich. Three years later the building was dedicated free of debt at a special service which included a sermon by Bishop W.B. Murray. The styling features Gothic Revival detailing.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8885.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 33° 22.952′ N, 96° 14.839′ W. Marker is in Leonard, Texas, in Fannin County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and East Houston Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Leonard TX 75452, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Presbyterian Church of Leonard (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leonard Dr. William Chamberlayne Jones (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Cadwallader Neale (approx. 0.3 miles away); Burns Cemetery (approx. 5.7 miles away); Ashley Lodge No. 681, A. F. & A. M. (approx. 5.9 miles away); First Methodist Church of Trenton (approx. 6.2 miles away); Y.B. Reed (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leonard.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 25, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 25, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.