Leonard in Fannin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church of Leonard
This congregation was organized as a mission of the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A., in 1875 at valley creek (3 mi. N) through the efforts of H.L. Parceled, the community’s founder and leading merchant. The Rev. Deconta Howard Dodson, a noted Christian educator, became the first pastor.
After a spring storm damaged the church building in 1883, the congregation moved to the new town of Leonard, created by the coming of the Denison and Southeastern Railroad. They built the town’s first church building on the corner of Houston and Main Streets. In 1905 Leonard Presbyterian Church merged with the local Cumberland Presbyterian Church, which had been organized at Grove Hill (3.5 mi. NE) in 1870. The Rev. N.M. Grafton became the new pastor of the first Presbyterian Church, as it was named after the union.
The church structure on this site was used for worship by the Cumberland Presbyterian Congregation and continues in use today. Additional facilities were built as membership increased.
Members here have included pioneer settlers and prominent community leaders who made significant contributions to the area’s development
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8882.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 33° 23.089′ N, 96° 14.907′ W. Marker is in Leonard, Texas, in Fannin County. Marker is at the intersection of West Thomas Street and North Connett Street, on the right when traveling west on West Thomas Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Leonard TX 75452, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church of Leonard (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. William Chamberlayne Jones (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Cadwallader Neale (approx. 0.3 miles away); Leonard (approx. 0.3 miles away); Burns Cemetery (approx. 5.6 miles away); Ashley Lodge No. 681, A. F. & A. M. (approx. 5.8 miles away); First Methodist Church of Trenton (approx. 6.1 miles away); Y.B. Reed (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leonard.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 25, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 24 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 25, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.