Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Delphi in Carroll County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Post Office At Sleeth

Wabash and Erie Canal Park Trail

 

— Wabash & Erie Canal Park Village —

 
The Post Office At Sleeth Marker image. Click for full size.
By TeamOHE, July 18, 2020
1. The Post Office At Sleeth Marker
Inscription.  
Along the Monon Tracks
This building originally served as the post office in Sleeth, a rural community in Carroll County about nine miles northwest of Delphi. Sleeth was also known as McCoy's Station on the Louisville, New Albany, & Chicago Railroad and other names, but commonly referred to as the Monon Railroad. The first town plat was recorded August 31, 1880 - surveyed and platted by William H. Sleeth. It consisted of 20 lots, all 50’x100', the streets were 50' and alleys 12’. A depot was built in 1879. Its exact location is unknown. In 1885 the population was 37. Mattie LeSourd Shock Hamill, a granddaughter of William H. Sleeth, refers in her 1960 newspaper article to the later store built east of the tracks as housing the post office and ticket office, implying that there wasn't a depot. The platted town of Sleeth was in Tippecanoe Township east of the railroad and south of 700N which is the line between Tippecanoe and Jefferson Townships.

James H. Johnson was the first postmaster. The post office opened May, 14 1880 and closed June, 15 1907. Mail service moved to Yeoman. Mr. Johnson also built

The Post Office At Sleeth Marker image. Click for full size.
By TeamOHE, July 18, 2020
2. The Post Office At Sleeth Marker
a store west of the tracks and just south of the road in 1881.

Over time several businesses were established in Sleeth including: a grain elevator, lumber yard, saw mill, flour mill, wagon repair shop, blacksmith, brickyard, church, school, barber, grocery and drygoods store. Exact locations of many buildings are unknown.

The school was held there from 1886 through 1904. Ella Ream and Minnie Creek taught there. The remains of the building were destroyed in the 1953 tornado.
 
Erected by Tippecanoe Arts Federation.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately 📭, and the Wabash & Erie Canal series lists.
 
Location. 40° 35.333′ N, 86° 40.983′ W. Marker is in Delphi, Indiana, in Carroll County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West North Washington Street and North Charles Street, on the right when traveling east. On the Grounds of the Wabash & Erie Canal Conference & Interpretive Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12252 West North Washington Street, Delphi IN 46923, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sleeth Post Office was at McCoy's Station on the Monon R.R. (here, next to this

The Post Office At Sleeth Marker image. Click for full size.
By TeamOHE, July 18, 2020
3. The Post Office At Sleeth Marker
marker); The Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); The Guard Lock (within shouting distance of this marker); Irish Canal Workers Cabin (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Itinerant Worker's Cabin (about 600 feet away); Mule Barn (about 700 feet away); "Pull Me" Boat (about 800 feet away); Canal Power (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delphi.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 25, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 41 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 25, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 26, 2021