Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Fairgrove in Tuscola County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Gilford United Methodist Church

 
 
Gilford United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Garman, August 1, 2020
1. Gilford United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  In 1887 a camp meeting led by the Reverend David Arnold resulted in the establishment of the Gilford United Brethren in Christ Church. Henry Shannon and John Cragg had invited Arnold to preach to area settlers. In 1889 Charles and Naomi Phipps donated land for a church building. Church members laid the cornerstone later that year. In 1968, through a merger with the Methodist denomination, the name became the Gilford United Methodist Church.
 
Erected 1987 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1614A.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan - Historical Society of Michigan series list.
 
Location. 43° 29.706′ N, 83° 37.319′ W. Marker is in Fairgrove, Michigan, in Tuscola County. Marker is on North Bradleyville Road north of West Gilford Road, on the left when traveling north. The church is currently a private residence, so it is recommended to park at the Gilford Township Cemetery
The former church is now a private residence. image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Garman, August 1, 2020
2. The former church is now a private residence.
across the street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 35 North Bradleyville Rd, Fairgrove MI 48733, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Watrous General Store (approx. 5.7 miles away); Juniata House (approx. 5.7 miles away); Watrousville United Methodist Church (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Bavarian Colony of Frankenhilf (approx. 6.6 miles away); Frankenhilf (approx. 6.6 miles away); Indian Dave (approx. 7.4 miles away); Vassar's Logging Era (approx. 8.9 miles away); Star of the West Milling Company (approx. 12.7 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 25, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. This page has been viewed 34 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 25, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 4, 2021