Trenton in Fannin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Methodist Church of Trenton
In 1887 members gathered at the Union Church in Trenton to organize the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The first pastor was the Rev. W. J. Bludworth. In 1896 the first sanctuary was built, and the congregation included 200 members. Organizations were established for the members including those for youth, women, and men. Additional facilities were provided to meet the needs of the church as the congregation grew. Rich with traditions, this church continues to serve the community as it has for over a century.
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8879.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 33° 25.869′ N, 96° 20.26′ W. Marker is in Trenton, Texas, in Fannin County. Marker is at the intersection of 2nd Street and Hunt Street, on the right when traveling north on 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton TX 75490, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Y.B. Reed (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trenton (about First National Bank of Trenton (about 400 feet away); Burns Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Indian Creek Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 4 miles away); John Cadwallader Neale (approx. 5.9 miles away); Dr. William Chamberlayne Jones (approx. 5.9 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Leonard (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 25, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 27 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 25, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.