Trenton in Fannin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The earliest Anglo settlers in this area, drawn to the fertile farmlands probably came to the locality known as Wildcat Thicket in the mid-1800s. By the 1870s a community had begun to form, and settler A.J. Russell reportedly named Trenton for a hospital in which he’d been treated during the Civil War. The railroad arrived in Trenton in 1881. The same year a post office was established and the town began to boom. By 1885 there were several thriving businesses in operation. Trenton was incorporated in 1890. Dr. W.C. Holmes, a former Trenton mayor and active citizen, began to publish the weekly Trenton Tribune in 1909. The town maintained its size during the 20th century, outlasting many of its neighbors. Trenton remains a bustling community.
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11877.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 25.851′ N, 96° 20.32′ W. Marker is in Trenton, Texas, in Fannin Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton TX 75490, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Y.B. Reed (a few steps from this marker); First National Bank of Trenton (within shouting distance of this marker); First Methodist Church of Trenton (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Burns Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Indian Creek Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); John Cadwallader Neale (approx. 5.9 miles away); Dr. William Chamberlayne Jones (approx. 6 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Leonard (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 26, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.