Near Eufaula in Barbour County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
White Oak United Methodist Church
First known as White Oak Chapel this church was dedicated on October, 18, 1859 by Rev. Issac I. Tatum of the Alabama Conference Methodist Episcopal Church South. The Society was organized by Rev. John J. Cassady who served as pastor in 1860. A log schoolhouse, constructed prior to 1859, served as the church building. The church is situated on land donated by Ezekiel Alexander (1803-1879). The grave of his son Asa, who died in 1861, is the earliest marked burial in the cemetery. Within a few years the log church was replaced by one made of rough, undressed lumber. A more finished building was erected in 1888.
The present church building was constructed in 1952-53 upon the foundation of the 1888 building. A fellowship hall including kitchen and Sunday School rooms were added as part of this building project. Dr. A. E. Schaefer was district superintendent and Rev. Ennis Sellers was pastor. The building committee was E. F. Calhoun Chairman, R.A. James, W.V.Powell, Mrs. J.W. Calhoun and Mrs. S.E. Godfrey, Jr.
In 1953 the church was recognized by Emory University and the Sears-Roebuck Foundation
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 31° 46.825′ N, 85° 10.596′ W. Marker was near Eufaula, Alabama, in Barbour County. Marker was on South Eufaula Avenue (U.S. 431), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Eufaula AL 36027, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Freemount Junior High School (approx. 4 miles away); Indian Treaty Boundary Line (approx. 4˝ miles away); New Lowell United Methodist Church / New Lowell School (approx. 6.1 miles away in Georgia); a different marker also named Indian Treaty Boundary Line (approx. 6.2 miles away); Liberty United Methodist Church / Hilliardsville (approx. 7 miles away); A Revolutionary Soldier (approx. 7 miles away); Fendall Hall / Young and Dent (approx. 7.8 miles away); Cowikee Cotton Mills (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eufaula.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2009, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,914 times since then and 13 times this year. Last updated on December 26, 2020, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 7, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 4. submitted on December 27, 2020, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama. 5, 6. submitted on June 7, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.