Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Pachuca in Municipality of Pachuca, Hidalgo, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

The Art Barracks

 
 
The Art Barracks Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 11, 2020
1. The Art Barracks Marker
Inscription.  

El Cuartel del Arte
Durante muchos años, esta construcción formó parte de los anexos del Ex Convento de San Francisco, sección del gran conjunto arquitectónico del claustro y producto de la desamortización de bienes y ex claustración de los monjes. A partir de 1861, alberga la Escuela Práctica de Minas, ya que se consideró importante fundar una institución que formara cuadros técnicos por el creciente auge minero de Pachuca. Sin embargo, el Colegio dejaría de funcionar en la época del Imperio, durante la intervención Francesa. Con el tiempo, el edificio seria objeto de varios usos hasta que el 18 de septiembre de 1929, por decreto presidencial, pasó a depender de la Secretaría de Guerra y el 17 de octubre del mismo año fue entregado al jefe de operaciones militares por la Oficina Federal de Hacienda, para ser usado como cuartel y oficinas militares, bajo el nombre "Cuartel Gabriel Hernández", conservándose como propiedad federal.

En 1984, el edificio funcionó como sede del Museo Regional del Instituto Nacional de Antropologia e Historia (INAH) y albergó una importante colección de objetos prehispánicos
The Art Barracks and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 11, 2020
2. The Art Barracks and Marker
The marker is on the left of the building's eastern entrance.
y coloniales, inscritos en la historia de la entidad. Sin embargo, el museo cerró sus puertas para volverse inmueble devaluado en su calidad de espacio arquitectónico y estructural para la sociedad. En 2003, al término del comodato entre INAH y Gobierno del Estado, el Consejo Estatal para la Cultura y las Artes de Hidalgo (CECULTAH), consideró que el espacio podria serle de utilidad como galeria de arte, por lo que se dio a la tarea de rescatarlo.

Las grandes dimensiones del sitio tuvieron consigo el reto de su acondicionamiento; el espacio fue dotado de iluminación adecuada para sus nuevas tareas, así como la instalación de un sistema de vigilancia y nueva duela, entre otras adecuaciones efectuadas a las dos plantas de la galeria. Desde el 18 de junio de 2003, sus dos salas funcionan como espacios expositivos de valiosas colecciones de pintura, escultura y fotografia. Por su pasado histórico inmediato, el CECULTAH decidió llamarlo El Cuartel del Arte.

English translation:
The Art Barracks
For many years, this construction was part of the annexes of the Former Convent of San Francisco. It was a part of the great architectural ensemble of the cloister and a product of the demortization of church property and the ex-cloistering of monks and nuns. From 1861, it housed the Practical School of Mines, as it was considered
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
important to found an institution that formed technical knowledge for the growing mining boom of Pachuca. However, the School would cease to function at the time of the Empire, during the French intervention. Over time, the building would be the subject of various uses until September 18, 1929, when by presidential decree, it became a dependency of the Ministry of War and on October 17 of the same year was handed over to the head of military operations by the Federal Bureau of Finance, to be used as barracks and military offices under the name "Gabriel Hernández Barracks." It was retained as federal property.

In 1984, the building functioned as the headquarters of the Regional Museum of the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH) and housed an important collection of pre-Hispanic and colonial objects. However, the museum closed its doors to become a devalued property as an architectural and structural space for society. In 2003, at the end of a long debate between INAH and the State Government, the State Council for Culture and Arts of Hidalgo (CECULTAH), considered that the space could be of use as an art gallery, so it was given the task of rescuing it.

The large dimensions of the site brought with them the challenge of its reconditioning; the space was equipped with adequate lighting for its new tasks, as well as the installation of a surveillance
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
system and new flooring, among other adaptations made to the two floors of the gallery. Since June 18, 2003, its two rooms function as exhibition spaces for valuable collections of painting, sculpture and photography. Because of its immediate historical past, CECULTAH decided to call it The Art Barracks.
 
Erected by Secretaria Nacional Mexicano de Cultura.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicColonial Era.
 
Location. 20° 7.261′ N, 98° 43.906′ W. Marker is in Pachuca, Hidalgo, in Municipality of Pachuca. Marker is on Casasola just east of Miguel Hidalgo, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Arts Barracks / The Old Mining School (here, next to this marker); General Gabriel Hernández (a few steps from this marker); National Photo-library of the INAH and Museum of Photography (within shouting distance of this marker); Church and Convent of San Francisco (within shouting distance of this marker); Bartolomé de Medina Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); Vicente Aguirre del Castillo (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Carlos Ramírez Guerrero (about 210 meters away); Museum of Labor Medicine "Nicolás Zavala" (approx. 6.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pachuca.
 
More about this marker. The marker is duplicated on the west side of the building, although that version has been heavily vandalized.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2020, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 27, 2020, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021