McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Designed by the noted architect J.E. Flanders of Dallas, this home was built in 1900 for Stephen D. Heard (1847-1926), a prominent merchant and business leader, and his wife, Lillie Snapp Heard. Their daughter, Kathryn (Mrs. Thomas) Craig, inherited the structure in 1932 and occupied it until her death in 1970. She left the property to the Heard-Craig Woman's Club Trust for use as a clubhouse. The house was restored under the direction of the original board of trustees.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1975
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6165.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Notable Buildings.
Location. 33° 11.942′ N, 96° 37.028′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of Hunt Street and North Church Street, on the right when traveling east on Hunt Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Crouch-Perkins House (within shouting distance of this marker); First United Methodist Church of McKinneyWaddill-Morris Homesite (about 600 feet away); Dr. William Taylor Hoard House (about 600 feet away); Collin County Prison (approx. 0.2 miles away); J.D. Stiff Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Aron-Harris House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles P. and Sallie G. Heard Home (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 27, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.