McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Kentucky native Judge R.L. Waddill (1811-1865) came to McKinney with his stepson, George Shackelford Morris, in 1853, five years after the town had been established as the Collin County seat. The two men bought large tracts of land in town, built a home, and then brought the remainder of the family to settle in McKinney. The family included Judge Waddill's wife, Sarah, and their children R.L., Joe, Ben, Gaston, and Fannie.
During the late 1850s, Judge Waddill made a major contribution to the field of education in McKinney by erecting a schoolhouse in his backyard and hiring a teacher from Bethany College in West Virginia to teach the children in the area. Waddill had a law practice in town and served as district judge, riding his circuit on horseback, from 1860 until his death in 1865.
This home was constructed for the Waddill-Morris family after a fire destroyed their original house. George S. Morris, who served in the Confederacy during the Civil War and later studied law, served as a deputy county clerk in McKinney and as administrator of the Waddill-Morris Estate. This house has remained in the family for more than
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6217.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 12.038′ N, 96° 37.055′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is on West Lamar Street west of North Church Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 West Lamar Street, McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First United Methodist Church of McKinney (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. William Taylor Hoard House (within shouting distance of this marker); Heard-Craig House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Crouch-Perkins House (about 800 feet away); Saint Peter’s Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); J.D. Stiff Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles P. and Sallie G. Heard Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Aron-Harris House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 27, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.