McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of McKinney
This congregation originated in 1851 as a mission of the Dallas Circuit. At first it met in the county courthouse, Masonic hall, or a union church building. In 1858, it became center of the McKinney Circuit; erected in 1876 a building of its own; became an independent station in 1879. As a result of efforts begun by the Rev. E.L. Casey, this distinctive edifice was completed in 1901. The original steeple crashed in 1954 during high winds. Although altered and enlarged, this is the city's last ornate, turn-of-the-century church building.
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6156.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 33° 12.021′ N, 96° 37.047′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of North Church Street and West Lamar Street, on the left when traveling north on North Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Waddill-Morris Homesite (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. William Taylor Hoard House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Heard-Craig House (about 500 feet away); Crouch-Perkins House (about 700 feet away); J.D. Stiff Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Peter’s Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles P. and Sallie G. Heard Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Aron-Harris House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 27, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.