Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Prairie du Rocher in Randolph County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Fort de Chartres

 
 
Fort de Chartres Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, November 30, 2020
1. Fort de Chartres Marker
Inscription.  Fort de Chartres, seat of civil and military government in the Illinois country for half a century, was first completed in 1720. In 1753-56 it was rebuilt of stone at a cost of 200,000 livres and became one of the strongest forts in North America and the key to the French defenses in what is now the United States. By the Treaty of Paris, 1763, France ceded the greater part of her North American possessions to Great Britain, but Fort de Chartres, the last post to be surrendered was occupied by a French garrison until 1765. Renamed Fort Cavendish, the fort was the seat of British government in the Illinois country. Until 1772. When it was abandoned and destroyed.

The State of Illinois purchased the site of Fort de Chartres and made it a state park in 1913.

(additional marker translated in French:)

Le fort de Chartres, siège du gouvernement civil et militaire dans au pays de l'Illinois pendant un demi-siècle, fut une première fois termine en 1720. Entre Les Annees 1753-56, il fut reconstruit en pierre au coût de 200 000 livres, et devint une des plus forts d'Amérique du Nord. et la clé des défenses françaises
Fort de Chartres Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, November 30, 2020
2. Fort de Chartres Marker
Translated in the French language (across from the English-language one)
dans ce qui est maintenant des États-Unis. Par le traité de Paris, 1763, la France céda la plus grande partie de ses possessions nord-américaines à la Grande-Bretagne, mais le fort de Chartres, dernier poste à être cédé, fut occupé par une garnison française jusqu'en 1765. Renommé fort Cavendish, le fort était le siège du gouvernement britannique dans au pays des l'Illinois. Jusqu'en 1772. Larsou'il fut abandonné et démoli.

L'État de l'Illinois a acheté l'emplacement de Fort de Chartres et en a fait un parc d'État en 1913.
 
Erected 1936 by National Society Daughters of the American Colonists and the State of Illinois.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesWar, French and Indian. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Colonists series list.
 
Location. 38° 5.102′ N, 90° 9.466′ W. Marker is near Prairie du Rocher, Illinois, in Randolph County. Marker can be reached from Illinois Route 155. Marker is located at the entrance to the reconstructed fort at Fort de Chartres State Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1350 State Rte 155, Prairie du Rocher IL 62277, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort de Chartres In The Illinois Country (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line);
Fort de Chartres Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, November 30, 2020
3. Fort de Chartres Marker
Marker is mounted between the doors inside the entrance to the fort
Welcome to Fort de Chartres State Historic Site (about 600 feet away); Lewis and Clark in Illinois (about 700 feet away); Ste. Anne's Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pierre Laclede at Chartres (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Calvary (approx. 2.2 miles away); Kidd, Illinois (approx. 2.4 miles away); German World War I Howitzer (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prairie du Rocher.
 
Also see . . .  Fort de Chartres on Wikipedia. (Submitted on December 30, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
 
Fort de Chartres State Historic Site image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, November 30, 2020
4. Fort de Chartres State Historic Site
Marker is inside the entryway
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 30, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 42 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 30, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 28, 2021