Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Millwood in Clarke County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Burwell-Morgan Mill

 
 
The Burwell-Morgan Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, July 8, 2007
1. The Burwell-Morgan Mill Marker
Inscription.  This grist mill, built in 1782-85 by General Daniel Morgan of Saratoga and Colonel Nathaniel Burwell of Carter Hall, was in continuous operation until 1943. Now owned by the Clarke County Historical Association.
 
Erected 1970 by Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number T-6.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1943.
 
Location. 39° 4.134′ N, 78° 2.291′ W. Marker is in Millwood, Virginia, in Clarke County. Marker is at the intersection of Millwood Road (Virginia Route 723) and Tannery Lane, on the left when traveling east on Millwood Road. Located at the Burwell-Morgan Mill park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Millwood VA 22646, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Millwood (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carter Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Greenway Historic District (approx.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
0.7 miles away); Blandy Experimental Farm (approx. 1.3 miles away); Long Branch (approx. 1.4 miles away); Vinyard Fight (approx. 1.8 miles away); Saratoga (approx. 2 miles away); Town of Boyce (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Millwood.
 
More about this marker. Note on the original marker the inclusion of the county name (Clarke) in quotations. At the time the marker was placed, there was some confusion as to the spelling of the county name, and the historical association’s name was left in quotes. At a later time, someone has removed the black paint from the quotes, de-emphasizing the marks.
 
Also see . . .
1. Clarke County Historical Association. Select the link to the Mill for details about the mill and restoration. (Submitted on July 12, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. Details about the Mill and other Mills Nearby. (Submitted on July 12, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. Photo Tour of the Mill. (Submitted on July 12, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
 
Additional commentary.
The East Side of the Mill image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, July 8, 2007
2. The East Side of the Mill
1. Old Highway 50
Millwood Road running past the mill is also known as Old Highway 50, since it was the original path of that U.S. road. It is one of the oldest roadbeds in this part of the country, dating back to colonial times as the main path through the Blue Ridge Mountains at Ashby’s Gap.
    — Submitted July 12, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

2. Two Mills at Millwood
The Burwell-Morgan Mill was the “commercial” mill at this location, used to process grains intended for sale, to include export to Europe. A second mill, originally stood nearby was solely to process grain for the Carter Hall and surrounding plantations. These two mills used the same water source.
    — Submitted July 12, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
 
The Mill Race Feeds Water to the Wheel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, July 8, 2007
3. The Mill Race Feeds Water to the Wheel
The Water Turns The Wheel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, July 8, 2007
4. The Water Turns The Wheel
Close Up View of Gear Works image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, July 8, 2007
5. Close Up View of Gear Works
One of the Millstones image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, July 8, 2007
6. One of the Millstones
View of Mill and Waterfall image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, July 8, 2007
7. View of Mill and Waterfall
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 24, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 12, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,846 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 12, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=1637

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024