Montour Mine No. 4
This shaft opened in 1914 when the Montour Railroad was completed to serve the mine. A vertical shaft reached the coal seam 140 feet underground. Mine cars were hoisted to the top of the tipple, where coal was cleaned, sized, and loaded into railroad cars.
The original mine shaft opened in 1903, about a half-mile to the west. After 1914, the original shaft was used for men and supplies to access the mine, while this shaft was used for coal loading only. In 1980, a catastrophic flooding of the mine caused its closure.
Ca. 1920. The main line, currently the Montour Trail, is on the left. The Hoist Building behind the original tipple is still in existence. The tipple spanned from the main line over Brush Run on the right.
Inside the tipple in 1942. Mine cars are unloaded from "the cage” at the top of the hoist and unloaded by a rotary dumper for processing. John Collier,
View from the Loaded Yard in 1957. The Head Shaft at right was
later dismantled. The hoist house was converted to a power house
and still remains. The structure beyond the hoist house was a tram
that carried slate to a dump at the top of the hill on the opposite side
of the valley.
Photo courtesy Gene P. Schaeffer
Erected by Montour RR Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 40° 17.852′ N, 80° 6.54′ W. Marker is in Peters Township, Pennsylvania, in Washington County. Marker is on T.A.R. Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 Valley Brook Rd, Canonsburg PA 15317, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Closing a railroad - Creating a trail (here, next to this marker); Milepost 32 - Signal Board (a few steps from this marker); X1 Railroad Crane (a few steps from this marker); Lotus Bridge (a few steps from this marker); Colonel George Morgan (approx. 3.1 miles away); Bridgeville Railroad Depot (approx. 4.2 miles away); Bethel Presbyterian Church (approx. 4.2 miles away); Dr. Jonathan Letterman (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Peters Township.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 30, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 30, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.