Greenville in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church
Organized Sept. 1858 in local Masonic Hall by Baptist missionary John R. Briscoe and Elder W. M. Pickett with 19 charter members: Lewis W., Rebecca, Susan C., and Martha Matilda (Tillie) Moore; Nancy Moore Hines; Andrew and Mary McDonald; Ellen D. Langford; Mary Reneau; Margaret Moody; Julia Cole; John, D. H., Margaret, and Sarah Miller; Louise and J. C. Moses; Wiley A. and Sarah Mattox. Briscoe served temporarily as pastor. The first convert was Eliza Stevens, a slave.
During the Civil War the congregation moved to Center Point (3 miles SE), and later returned to Greenville, meeting in the courthouse, shared by all faiths. First church building was a small frame house on a lot(1 block SE) donated by A. D. Robey and W. M. Arnold in 1873. The house burned in 1886, and a large frame structure was erected in 1887 on this block.
In 1895, the church sponsored the establishment of Burleson College, a local private school, which was transferred to the State Baptist Convention in 1899.
The cornerstone of a brick edifice, constructed on this site in 1905, is displayed here. Eight other local Baptist churches have spawned
Erected 1973 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7789.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1858.
Location. 33° 8.271′ N, 96° 6.531′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Texas, in Hunt County. Marker is at the intersection of Wesley Street and Crockett Street, on the right when traveling north on Wesley Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2703 Wesley Street, Greenville TX 75401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Central Christian Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Greenville (about 500 feet away); Hunt County (about 800 feet away); 1929 Hunt County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Seven Courthouses of Hunt County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greenville Building and Loan Association (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Greenville Post Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greenville "Herald" (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 30, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 66 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 30, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.