“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Middlefield in Otsego County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

District No. 1 School - Middlefield

District No. 1 School - Middlefield Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel
1. District No. 1 School - Middlefield Marker
In Clarksville, now known as Middlefield, the first schoolhouse was erected about 1807 nearly opposite the Baptist Church. Two other early public school sites have been documented. By 1870, the growing community needed a larger building and bought a 3-acre parcel of land on the east side of the Cherry Valley Creek from George Hyde Clarke of Springfield for $300. In 1875, construction of the two-story frame building reportedly earned local carpenters 75 cents a day.

Prominently sited on the rise of land by the creek, the school features a large double front door with separate interior entrances to each of the two ground floor classrooms, The second floor was never finished nor used for classrooms. Trustee minutes recorded repairs and improvements through the years including remodeled windows to allow more natural lighting, indoor toilets, electricity in 1939 and a drilled well in 1950.

There were sixty-five registered students in 1886. However, fifty years later, the upper grades were transported to Cherry Valley Central School for instruction. After many years of opposing centralization, the District voted to
District No. 1 School and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel
2. District No. 1 School and Marker
Marker is on the left of the schoolhouse beside the parking lot.
close the school on June 10, 1954. The remaining grades 1-6, two teachers, school supplies and furnishings, as well as the bell, were moved to the central school in Cherry Valley.

Upper Right Photo Caption: Photo circa 1910. The Town of Middlefield Historical Association leased the schoolhouse in 1966 from the town for its headquarters and museum. Renovations included restoring the exterior of the building, re-creating a classroom, creating a local history museum on the second floor and providing meeting and program space. The Association is dedicated to preserving the original role of the schoolhouse and grounds as an educational and cultural resource in the community.

Bottom Right Photos Caption: Fun times at the school have included picnics (circa 1915), baseball (1921)and 1918 Field Days with neighboring Roseboom School.
Erected 2003 by Town of Middlefield Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 42° 41.388′ N, 74° 50.479′ W. Marker is in Middlefield, New York, in Otsego County. Marker can be reached from County Route 35, on the left when traveling east. Marker is beside the schoolhouse at the end of driveway 100 yards from entrance on Co. Rt.
District No. 1 School - Middlefield Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel
3. District No. 1 School - Middlefield Marker
View of schoolhouse (on left) from Route 35 entrance.
35. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3698 County Hwy 35, Roseboom NY 13450, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mill & Water Power (a few steps from this marker); Middlefield War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); District School (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Baptist Society (approx. 0.2 miles away); Middlefield Hamlet Historical District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Westford Veterans Monument (approx. 3˝ miles away); "Natty Bumpo" (approx. 3.8 miles away); Indian Grave (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Middlefield.
Also see . . .  Town of Middlefield Schoolhouse Museum. District No. 1 Schoolhouse is the home of the Town of Middlefield Schoolhouse Museum. (Submitted on December 31, 2020, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.) 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 30, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 22 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 30, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 8, 2021