Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Farmington Hills in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Theron Murray House

 
 
Theron Murray House Marker image. Click for full size.
December 23, 2020
1. Theron Murray House Marker
Inscription.  In 1831, Oakland County pioneers Theron and Rebecca Murray purchased eighty acres of land from the U.S. government including this site. This Greek Revival house and the barn, constructed around 1835, were built of hand-hewn poplar beams with wooden pegs. From 1942 to 1958, Charles W. Malpass owned the house as well as a parcel directly across Halsted Road. That forty-acre pasture served as a landing strip for private planes. Malpass allegedly named the house "Upson Downs."
 
Erected 1989 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L962.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & SpaceArchitectureSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
 
Location. 42° 31.344′ N, 83° 25.122′ W. Marker is in Farmington Hills, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is on Halsted Road 0.3 miles south of West Fourteen Mile Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map.
Theron Murray House and Marker image. Click for full size.
December 23, 2020
2. Theron Murray House and Marker
Marker is at or near this postal address: 30943 Halsted Road, Farmington MI 48331, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Minnow Pond (approx. 0.3 miles away); Eber Durham House (approx. 1.1 miles away); John Garfield House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Boorn-Halsted House (approx. 1˝ miles away); West Farmington Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away); Hamilton Jones House (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Harger House (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Worker's Camp (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farmington Hills.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 30, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 38 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 30, 2020.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 3, 2021