Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Glendive in Dawson County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

First Methodist Episcopal Church and Parsonage

Dawson Historic District

 
 
First Methodist Episcopal Church and Parsonage Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 10, 2020
1. First Methodist Episcopal Church and Parsonage Marker
Inscription.  Noted Miles City architect Brynjulf Rivenes designed this splendid English Gothic style church in 1909. Constructed under Pastor T. S. Leland during intense community growth brought about by homestead settlement, the building replaced the smaller Methodist Episcopal Church built in 1883 at Mann and Pearson Streets. Now the Glendive United Methodist Church, this architectural landmark features a crenelated bell tower, doors and windows with pointed arches, and fine polychromatic brick detailing. The Craftsman style parsonage, with its flared gable roof and open front arched porch, was added in 1913. The church and its parsonage were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
 
Erected by Montana Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Montana National Register Sign Program series list.
 
Location. 47° 6.365′ N, 104° 42.841′ W. Marker is in Glendive, Montana, in Dawson
First Methodist Episcopal Church and Parsonage and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 10, 2020
2. First Methodist Episcopal Church and Parsonage and Marker
The marker is at the left-side of the stairs, on the corner.
County. Marker is at the intersection of West Towne Street and North Kendrick Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Towne Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 206 West Towne Street, Glendive MT 59330, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sacred Heart Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dawson County World War Memorial (about 600 feet away); J.C. Penney Store (about 600 feet away); 107 West Bell Street (about 600 feet away); Dion Building / Exchange Bank (about 600 feet away); Charles Krug House (about 700 feet away); Dion Brothers Building (about 700 feet away); Henry Dion Building (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glendive.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 31, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 29 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 31, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 5, 2021