Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Little Rock House
Constructed shortly after Civil War on townlot grant of German Emigration Co. Bought in 1868 by Heinrich Ochs, pioneer school teacher. Owned by family 61 years. Has been home and store with floor plan virtually unchanged since erection.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10103.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 30° 16.595′ N, 98° 52.475′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (U.S. 290) and North Crockett Street, on the left when traveling west on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 West Main Street, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Schwarz Building (within shouting distance of this marker); William Wahrmund House (within shouting distance of this marker); Schmidt-Dietz Building (within shouting Albert Lee Patton Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hoerster Building (about 500 feet away); Marktplatz (about 500 feet away); The August Hennersdorf House (about 500 feet away); Old Gillespie County Courthouse (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Also see . . . Fredericksburg, TX. Each settler received one town lot and ten acres of farmland nearby. The town was laid out like the German villages along the Rhine, from which many of the colonists had come, with one long, wide main street roughly paralleling Town Creek. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on January 2, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 173 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 2, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.