Ropesville in Hockley County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ropesville Resettlement Project
Farms 12 (Odus Payton), 20 (Aaron Ogden Dayton), 23 (Chester Clyde Dally), 29 (Hairston Alan Winkler), & 30 (Tilman Joseph Dunlap) were discontinued and the acreage divided among neighboring farms to make them larger.
Erected 2016 by The Descendants.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work.
Location. 33° 24.567′ N, 102° 9.133′ W. Marker is in Ropesville, Texas, in Hockley County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ropesville TX 79358, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Ropesville Resettlement Project (a few steps from this marker); Site of Primrose School (approx. 1.1 miles away); Ropesville Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Meadow Cemetery (approx. 5.6 miles away); Meadow United Methodist Church (approx. 5.8 miles away); An Early Native American Resident (approx. 5.9 miles away); Meadow Depot (approx. 5.9 miles away); Brooks Blacksmith Shop (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ropesville.
Regarding Ropesville Resettlement Project. “The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) was enacted in 1933 as part of U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal Program to aid families during the country’s Great Depression. The Rural Rehabilitation Division of that agency began in 1934 to work specifically with the problems of the nation’s farm families. The Ropesville Resettlement Program was one of 78 FERA- approved projects to help farmers re- establish themselves near the already-established town of Ropesville. Federal money was used to construct homes, wells, and farm buildings. The first 33 families, chosen for their initiative and willingness to work, settled into their new homes in 1936. By the end of 1939, a total of 77 families were working and living in the project. A community manager, assisted by a home economist, provided guidance to participants in the Ropesville program. The project ended officially in 1943, when the Ropesville Farms came under individual ownership. A community building, constructed for the people of the farms in 1939, was moved
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 2, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.