Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Heinrich Bierschwale House

 
 
Heinrich Bierschwale House Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 1, 2021
1. Heinrich Bierschwale House Marker
Inscription.  

This home was built in 1872-73 by German immigrant Heinrich Bierschwale, a teacher in the rural schools of Gillespie and Mason counties. He later served as county and district clerk in Gillespie County. The two-story stone vernacular house features a one-story full facade front porch with bracketed columns and six-over-six windows. Bierschwale and his wife Margarete had nine children. The home has remained in the family for over a century.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1987
 
Erected 1987 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10012.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducationSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 30° 16.685′ N, 98° 52.447′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker is on West Austin Street 0.1 miles west of North Crockett Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 209 West Austin Street, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The August Hennersdorf House (within shouting
Heinrich Bierschwale House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 1, 2021
2. Heinrich Bierschwale House and Marker
distance of this marker); Albert Lee Patton Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Schmidt-Dietz Building (about 400 feet away); William Wahrmund House (about 400 feet away); Schwarz Building (about 400 feet away); Hoerster Building (about 500 feet away); Little Rock House (about 600 feet away); Gun Cap Factory (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
 
Also see . . .  Gillespie County. The future county was first settled by Europeans in 1846, when John O. Meusebach led a group of 120 Germans sponsored by the Adelsverein to the site of Fredericksburg, which became one in a series of German communities between the Texas coast and the Fisher-Miller Land Grant, originally the immigrants' ultimate destination. Fredericksburg and the surrounding rural areas grew quickly, and on December 15, 1847, 150 settlers petitioned the Texas legislature to establish a new county, which they suggested be named either "Pierdenales" or Germania. The legislature formally marked the new county off from Bexar and Travis counties on
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
February 23, 1848, named it after Capt. Robert A. Gillespie, a hero of the recent Mexican War, and made Fredericksburg the county seat.  Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on January 2, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 2, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 8, 2021